The Sequalitchew

May 20, 2007

Ninth Edition

President: Roxanne Woodruff silkyspot@FtNisquallyDescendants.org
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Oaks/2189/Descendants.htm
Vice President: Judy Smith jsmith@FtNisquallyDescendants.org
Secretary/Treasurer: Roger Newman rhnewman@FtNisquallyDescendants.org
Webmaster: Greg Hitchcock
http://www.FtNisquallyDescendants.org


Spring Meeting

Our meeting this spring is scheduled for Sunday May 20th, 2007 at the DuPont City Hall 303 Barksdale Ave. DuPont, WA 98327. The doors will be open to us around 11am, bring a sack lunch. Our speaker this spring will be Thor A. Hoyte, Tribal Attorney for the Nisqually Indian Tribe. He will bring us many updates on the land in the tribal care and let us know what we might be able to do to honor our ancestors there

At our Break time there will be some snacks and a raffle for any donated items will be held. Bring your thoughts, ideas, and histories and join us for a wonderful afternoon.

We meet bi-annually (May and October generally) at the DuPont City Hall and on occasion at the DuPont History Museum 207 Barksdale Ave DuPont, WA 98327 Info@DuPontMuseum.com Our $5.00 dues are collected each spring. If you know someone who might be interested in joining, please pick up an application.

At our last meeting we were required by our Bylaws to select a nominating committee. Their position is to help us to find those within our group who are Direct Descendants willing to serve as our President, Vice President/ Membership Chair Person, and Secretary/Treasurer. Our nominating committee members are:

  1. Mary Jane Cartwright
  2. Kay Hecox
  3. Kris Newman

Our Committee members already did some leg and mouth work at the end of our last meeting for some possible solutions. At our spring meeting we will vote for the above mentioned positions. Please give your votes some serious thoughts. Thank you.

Extended thanks at this time for those of you keeping me in the President’s hot seat. It is an eye opening and learning experience. I will continue to serve you with the newsletters and possibly in one of the other coming positions.

Roxanne Woodruff
President


Fort Nisqually Tacoma Parks

As the third site of the fort thought they would be busy with construction at this time they did not have some of their usual events at this time, but there are still some things happening there the weekend of the 19th and other events to come this summer.

For Saturday the 19th there are the following:

“Bring the Fort to Life Saturday”, which is an informal living history day featuring Ft Nisqually’s talented volunteers offering a variety of demonstrations and historical interpretation, from 11 am – 5 pm

The Sewing Guild will be working on Needle Books from 11 am – 1 pm

“The Dirty Side of Life, or doing laundry in the 19th Century” is a short presentation by Peggy Barchi, which will be held at Noon, 2 & 4 pm.

If you want to plan for one of their special events, you might look ahead to July and see their following ad:

July 20 Family Fun Night


Enjoy an evening of Old Fashioned Fun at Fort Nisqually’s "19th Century Family Fun Night" on July 20th from 6 – 9 pm! Bring your picnic supper and the whole family and participate in games, music and dancing of the mid-1800s. Kids of all ages will enjoy the special firings of the Candy Cannon throughout the evening. Lemonade and ice cream will be available while supplies last.

Admission is $4/ adults, $3/seniors and students (ages 13-17), $2/ children (ages 5-12), and $12 for a family rate. For additional information, please contact Fort Nisqually at 253-591-5339

Thanks to Peggy Barchi FortNisqually@tacomaparks.com


Nisqually River Basin Land Trust

A memorial donation in honor of Delbert J. McBride will be presented to the Nisqually River Basin Land Trust, 3318 N. Proctor, Tacoma, WA. 98407-5541. Delbert J. McBride passed away on July 19th, 1998. We were honored to have his brother, “Bud” McBride, and friends here at our last meeting in October. Constance Bond, Programs Manager for the group will be there to accept the donation.


JOHN MCPHAIL
1809 – 1876


Shawbost, Isle of Lewis

John McPhail was born to Murdo MacPhail and Catherine McAskill around 1809 in Shawbost, Scotland, on the Island of Lewis. John’s grandparents are believed to be John and Margaret (MacLeod) MacPhail and Murdo & Effie (MacLean) MacAskill.

In 1832 John McPhail signed a contract with the Hudson’s Bay Company. He arrived at York Factory Manitoba, Canada in the same year. He made his way through Canada by the rivers and the trails until he got to HBC Fort Vancouver the next spring. He worked as a shepherd at the fort for many years. The Journal of Occurrences for Fort Vancouver have been misplaced or destroyed so we do not have day to day activities for John McPhail until he transferred to HBC Fort Nisqually in 1850. Mainly he was a shepherd, but at different times led groups of Indians in different seasonal activities at the fort. He continued to make trips to HBC Vancouver and HBC Victoria as needed. He did have one vice and that was alcohol, as many other men did.

He was married at least four different times and had numerous children. The only surviving children are from his last wife, which was Margaret, who was of the Snohomish Nation. The children are (1) Catherine, who married first, Perry Woodworth, Sr, and married second Roderick Byrd. She had children by both husbands: (2) John, Jr. married Emma Sears and had several children and a step daughter; (3) Murdo married first Jane Northover and married second Mary (Tyler) Alexander. He had children by both wives. She had children from a prior marriage to Joseph William Perry Alexander.

In 1854 John McPhail settled on a donation land claim of 315 acres on Muck Creek in Pierce County South of Spanaway. John and his boys farmed the land and grew hay, which they sold to the Army. During the Indian Wars of 1855-56, John McPhail and four others were arrested for aiding the Indians. They were later released. The U.S. Army or Militia raided and ransacked their farm.

Margaret, wife of John McPhail, died in 1865 and John died in 1876 while taking a load of hay to Steilacoom. The horses were spooked and started running. John’s son told him to jump off the hay wagon, which he did, resulting in his death. The fact that he only had one arm probably contributed to his death.

When and how he lost his arm has not yet been discovered.

I want to thank cousin, Irene Hewitt, for paying for research in Scotland and sharing it with others.

Roger Newman rhnewman@FtNisquallyDescendants.org
Irene Hewitt


Isle of Muck History


“Eilean nan Each from Muck with Rum in the background”

“My mother and I have been researching the history of the Isle of Muck in Scotland. This website is to allow other people access to some of resources which we have discovered to be useful.

Muck is a small island off the west coast of Scotland and is one of the Small Isles (the others are Eigg, Rum, and Canna). The island is about two miles long by one mile wide (approximately 1500 acres) and currently has a population of about 34 although it was much higher in the past: it was 144 in 1764 and 68 in 1841.

Muck is part of the Small Isles Parish. Up until 1892 Muck was part of Argyllshire, but after 1892 it became part of Invernesshire.”


“The north-west corner of Muck with Eilean nan Each behind”
Photos and story copyright © of Annie M White
http://www.islemuck.com/muck.htm


Yet another posting:

“The island of Muck is one of Lochaber’s ‘Small Isles’, lying 10 miles off the west coast of Scotland. Muck lies west of Eigg and is the smallest of these islands, at only two miles long by a mile wide.

Some have argued that its name derives from “Muc Mara” (Porpoise), which were once very common in the bay.

The island has been owned by the MacEwan family since 1895”.

Story copyright © of Anna Mehta, News Media, BBC Scotland http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/islandblogging/westernisles/muck.shtml


A Voice from Our Own Group:

Muck Creek Map

“…Charles Wren, and several other area settlers who worked for PSAC filed for Donation Land Claims in the Muck Creek area. These claims were not officially surveyed and registered until 1871 due to the court case over PSAC lands. John McPhail and John McLeod were Scottish. Although there is a local Chinook jargon word “muck-a-muck” which means food, their descendants note that these settlers actually named the creek for an island they knew in the Scottish Herbrides called Muck.

Prior to 1850, references to the creek call it Douglas, Burn, or Douglas River, named for James Douglas who was a Factor at one of the other Hudson Bay outposts in the Pacific Northwest. Other Muck Creek settlers included Henry Smith (a Prussian), George Murray, Peter Wilson, and Lyon “Sandy” Smith.

To local natives, these Hudson Bay employees were known as “King George’s Men.” The American settlers were called “Bostons.” For many years the HBC people and the Indians lived in reasonable harmony, but the influx of American settlers staking property claims became a threat to the native population.

Muck Creek Aerial Photo
Muck Creek, Washington

Today, this Muck Creek area lies between the new Cougar Mountain Junior High along 260th Street and Rice-Kandle Road to the west along the creek about 7 miles. The town of Muck was eliminated when land was bought up (or condemned) for the present day Ft. Lewis. The townsite was near the Wren property. An old plat map on a historic marker at Bethany Lutheran Church (263rd St. & Mountain Highway) shows these Donation Land Claims. They can also be found on the Washington Secretary of State’s historic maps archive on the Internet, www.secstate.wa.gov…”

Photos copyright of this site.

Story copyright © of Marianne Lincoln “The Muck Creek Settlers” http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/westword/oct2004.html

Muck Creek Aerial Photo
Muck Creek, Washington

Greetings to the Isle of Muck from Muck Creek Washington!